Saturday, May 9, 2009

Things I learned from my Mother

This is the first Mother's Day I will not be spending in Morgan Hill, and it feels so surreal not to be going home tomorrow. But I decided to think back to all the things I have learned and appreciate about my mother. So, Mom, here's to you. Love you!

1. This picture is from my parent's wedding 21 years ago. I always admired my mother's ability to bring us together and make us a family.

2. My mother has always been so supportive of her children. She drove me to Nutcracker practices 45 minutes away twice a week for three straight months. For 6 years. Not to mention the dance classes I had 4 days a week growing up in Morgan Hill.

3. She supported my endevours in cooking and allowed me to experiment and learn by trial and error. And then she ate whatever I came up with. Even if it was bad. (Last year she let me do all of Thanksgiving by myself.)

4. She taught me to be generous with my time, money, and friendships. To give when needed, and also when not. My mother might not be a member of the church, but that she taught me to choose the right regardless.

5. To cook well, and to share it with others. And to never attend a party or event without bringing food to share and saying thank you at the end (this picture is from "Asian Night")

6. My mother always told me growing up that to make friends you have to be a friend. And that having fun can require effort. I never really understood that until I got to college, and I had to go out of my comfort zone to meet new people and try new things. Best lesson in friendship. Ever.

7. She tries to make me embrace my culture, no matter how hard I try to avoid it. We had "Asian Night" last night. I made chow mein and cashew chicken and hosted a big party. I guess I can never get away from my heritage, so if you can't hide it, embrace it.

7. Chow Mein. My mother doesn't have a recipe for it and because of that neither do I. Best thing I make. Hands down.

8. She supported me when I decided to get join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and also when I chose to attend BYU. I know it's really hard to be so far away, but Utah is only a 2 hour plane ride away. And she visits often and so do I. (This is from her last trip up here for my birthday. She treated 15 people to dinner at my favorite restaurant.)


9. I will love my mother for always taking pictures. She is often never in them, and we give her such a hard time for taking the time to do it. But, you can't put a price on memories.

10. For being my mother. For teaching, helping, listening, cooking, cleaning, supporting, watching out for, and loving me. Through thick and thin and near and far.


Everything I need to know in life, I learned from my mother.

2 comments:

  1. i want your chow mein. i seriously crave it all the time. your mom is so cute too! and so so so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, your mom looks and sounds adorable. Chow mein, I need to know how you make that.

    ReplyDelete